Thursday, March 11, 2010

Scene Selection – 1935’s Top Hat


Last night, to be frank wasn’t a good one. My older girls wouldn’t stay in bed and my youngest simply was fussy the whole night through. Not the best way to try and watch Classic Film. In the middle of all this racket and arguing and just over all bad energy the “Lovely Day” scene from 1935’s Top Hat starring Fred Astaire & Ginger Rogers caught my eye.

First of all any time a classic film includes rain in a scene it just adds that much more potential to it. The opening dialog is also great, the way Fred pronounces his words as your run of the mill cabbie really adds to it. The dancing in this scene is also great and I really haven’t an eye for that sort of thing. The way a lot of the moves were choreographed to be flowing when it starts to pick up towards the end with a clash of thunder really ends the scene on a high note for me.

The biggest and best part for me was the sound. Unlike some classic film fans I like my audio untouched (within reason) on the account of me preferring the way it can make thunder, rain, and especially one’s voice sound. This point really shines in the opening dialog. Below I’ve included the scene so that you can see the magic happen for yourself. Thank you for reading and I’ll see you in the comments.

1 comment:

  1. It is one of my fav Fred and Ginger Moments on screen. I love the rain and the Choreography.

    ReplyDelete